Uncovering Unconscious Bias Workshop
Thursday, May 13, 2021
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
Please join the WNG when we meet with Lorne Epstein, a world-class facilitator and adult experiential educator who has led active learning experiences since 1993. Lorne will lead us through a 90-minute workshop that offers an introduction to how human beings operate with unconscious bias.
About this Workshop:
Research on decision-making reveals that when individuals are highly aware of their decision-making process, they can see how non-determinant data influences their thinking. This awareness mitigates bias in decision-making by giving them access to a more extensive set of choices to reach their intended outcomes.
Experiential learning is an integral component of the workshops and the participant development process. The workshops include simulated experiences that transform participant behaviors through awareness. The experiential learning model builds insights by having participants do the actions in a training space to reduce decision-making bias.
In this workshop, participants will learn what unconscious bias is and how it affects their workplace relationships and decision-making.
Through this workshop, participants will:
• Learn how priming bias works.
• See how bias can affect their choices at work.
• Conduct a personal social network analysis.
• Develop new practices and skills to minimize bias in business decisions.
Participants will explore the following questions:
• What is bias?
• How does bias affect our lives and the workplace?
• What biases do I have?
• What tools are available to me to reduce the effects of bias in my workplace?
About Our Speaker:
Lorne Epstein is a world-class facilitator and adult experiential educator who has been leading active learning experiences since 1993. His talent acquisition career allowed him to build companies in the U.S., India, and Brazil by hiring right. He is a graduate student in Organizational Development and Knowledge Management at George Mason University. He has been an HR professional since 1996. His book, You’re Hired! Interview Skills to Get the Job, has been downloaded over a half-million times worldwide. Every week, he hosts The Lorne Epstein Show, where national experts share insights about the workplace. He is SHRM-SCP certified and a Lifetime Charter Member of the Association of Talent Acquisition Professionals.
• Over 5,300 participants have earned SHRM or HRCI credit through Lorne’s workshops.
• 4,300 HR Professionals participated and earned credit at HRCI’s Higher Standards: Advancing the Conversation around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on October 14, 2020.
• Built first National Talent Acquisition Network for the U.S. Forest Service tasked with hiring 1,800 new employees annually, including 10,000 fire-season hires.
• Enhanced the global hiring process for a software development company, achieving a 54% increase in hires.
• Developed a hiring strategy that reduced time-to-hire by 76% and cost-to-hire by 48% for a naval architecture firm.
• Increased employee referrals by 44% at a global software company.
Professional Memberships Certifications
• SHRM-SCP Certification # SHRMAPP8534
• Member – Society for Human Resource Management
• Lifetime Charter Member – Association of Talent Acquisition Professionals
3:50 PM - Pre-Session (please enter the Zoom waiting room before 4:00 PM)
4:00 PM - Program Begins
5:30 PM - Program Ends / Adjourn
Event Platform & Recordings:
This event takes place on the Zoom meeting platform.
Early-bird rates are in effect until midnight on Sunday, April 18.
$5 for WNG Members (early-bird); $10 thereafter
$10 for Non-Members (early-bird); $20 thereafter
NOTE: Please register in advance. Once you have registered online, the WNG Office will send you a confirmation email with a link and password to participate in this Zoom meeting.
Join & Go:
$90: Become a WNG Member ($90 annual dues) and attend this particular event at no extra cost. Those registrants joining our membership may select this option when registering for the event. Afterward, the WNG Office will contact you to complete the process by submitting your online membership application.
Cancellation Policy: WNG 48-Hour Cancellation Policy applies to this event.
Questions: Contact the WNG Office: 202-455-4504.