Freshmen Spotlight: How to Build Relationships with New Members of Congress
Women in Government Relations (WGR) presents:
"Freshmen Spotlight: How to Build Relationships with New Members of Congress"
Based on Congressional Management Foundation (CMF) research, including the first-ever survey of freshmen congressional offices in 2019, participants will learn about what it’s like to set up and work in a freshman congressional office and how that impacts the strategies that many advocates commonly use to introduce themselves to new Members of Congress.
The 117th Congress is underway and now is the time to start building relationships with new members. This webinar – a joint initiative from WGR’s Personal and Professional Development Committee and the Congressional Management Foundation (CMF) – will ensure you are ready to hit the ground running by learning best practices for your outreach. We will also discuss tools and tactics for communicating with new lawmakers in a virtual environment.
Based on CMF’s survey of freshmen congressional offices in 2019, this webinar will cover:
• What it’s like to set-up and work in a freshman congressional office;
• How to prioritize your initial outreach to freshmen members;
• How to schedule and prepare for your first meeting;
• Tools for developing relationships in an all-virtual environment; and,
• Tips for successful meeting follow-up and future engagement with the office.
Introduction: PPD Committee member Alicia Meads, Manager, Legislative Affairs, CF Industries
• Jaime Werner, Director of Planning & External Relations, Congressional Management Foundation
• Seth Turner, Director of Citizen Engagement, Congressional Management Foundation
The information covered in this webinar is essential for lobbyists and grassroots professionals at any level responsible for congressional relations. Be ready with your questions as we will have plenty of time for Q&A at the end of the session.
This is a free event.